>> Home >> Magazine >> This page

>> 500+ other articles are available in our archive

 

1965 Renault R8 Gordini

n by Göran Kindlund
n English translation by Magnus Fridsell


kindlund_renault_01.jpg (18809 bytes)

Känns bilen igen?

Modellen föreställer en rallybil från mitten av 60-talet. Eller kanske rättare, en OT-bil eftersom de flesta tävlingarna gick under benämningen OT (Orientering och Tillförlitlighet) på den tiden.

Utgångsmodellen är en Hellerbyggsats av en ’67 Gordini 1300. Att göra om den till den äldre versionen (med 1084 cc motor) innebar att jag fick lägga igen två hål i fronten, där den nyare modellen hade två extra strålkastare, och tillverka det frontemblem som fanns på ’65:an.

 Recognize this car?

heller_logo.gif (2296 bytes)This is a rally car from the middle of the 1960-ies, or rather an OT-car since the competitions were called so then. (OT, Orientering och Tillförlitlighet, Navigation and Reliability)

The base is a Heller kit of a 1967 Gordini 1300. To backdate it to a 1965 with the smaller 1084 cc engine, I had to fill two holes in the front where the 67 had a pair of extra headlights, and then make the front badge of the 65.

kindlund_renault_02.jpg (18370 bytes)Construction

I carried out a lot of work on the chassis and the suspension that are rather simplified in the kit. I also had to cut apart the chassis plate and add some plasticard to get it right.

Suspension parts from the scrap box completed the work after which I hid all of it under some scratch built protection plates.

kindlund_renault_03.jpg (16806 bytes)Om bygget

Jag lade ner rätt mycket jobb på chassit och hjulupphängningarna, som är ganska förenklade i byggsatsen. Jag fick skära upp bottenplattan och lägga i plasticard för att få den rätt och sedan plockade jag diverse bärarmar, stag och dylikt från reservdelsförrådet för att bygga upp det hela. Slutligen gömde jag resultatet under skratchbyggda skyddsplåtar.

Jag skar upp framdörrarna, och försåg dem med gångjärn, vilket var ett mistag för det går knappt att stänga dem nu. Jag la ner en hel del arbete på att detaljera motor och motorrum. Skratchbyggd avgassystem, luftfilter mm.

Även inredningen detaljerades med instrumentering, fotoetsad ratt, säkerhetsbälten mm. Även här fick reservdelsförrådet bistå med delar, t ex en skålad förarstol.

kindlund_renault_07.jpg (13584 bytes)

Utvändigt kompletterade jag med extraljus (från Tamiya’s Mini Cooper) och mer eller mindre skrachbyggda original plåtfälgar, byggsatsen har aluminiumfälgar. Pirellidäcken kommer från Fujimi och har "skurits ner" till rätt bredd i svarven (och limmats ihop igen med solution).Vänster bakskärm bytte jag ut mot en formad aluminiumbit, som jag dessutom hamrade på för att illustrera en "potatissäcksriktad" skärm. Tyvärr syns det inte om man inte granskar modellen på mycket nära håll.

kindlund_renault_06.jpg (12648 bytes)

Avslutningsvis lackerade jag med riktig billack i autentisk kulör. Gordinin fanns bara i denna blåa kulör.

I opened up the front doors and added hinges, which proved to be a mistake since they are hardly possible to close now. I also added a scratch built exhaust system, intake filter and so on.

Also the interior got some extra detail with instrumentation, a photo-etched steering wheel, safety belts and so on. An appropriate racing seat came from the scrap box.

The exterior was detailed using extra headlights from the Tamiya Mini Cooper and some more or less scratch built sheet metal wheel rims to substitute the kit’s aluminium ones. The Pirelli tyres come from Fujimi and have been cut apart, their width reduced in the lathe and then they have been glued together again, using rubber solution. The left rear side of the body was remade using thin aluminium sheet to simulate a temporary repair job. The effect can however only be seen at a very short distance!

kindlund_renault_05.jpg (16758 bytes)

Finally, the model was painted using real car lacquer in the correct colour; the Gordini was only available in this blue shade. The white marking on the rear left door is a damage marking. It was commonly practiced during the sixties to render minus-points in the competitions for external damage.

Lessons learned

To sum it up, this is a kit where I put in a lot of work to detail things that can’t be seen, just to ruin it all by not succeeding with these door hinges!

kindlund_renault_04.jpg (14289 bytes)Den vita markeringen på vänster bakdörr är en skademarkering som användes på den här tiden då plåtskador föranledde till straffprickar.

Slutsatser

Sammanfattningsvis kan man väl säga att jag gjorde ett gott arbete med en massa detaljer som inte syns och förstörde helheten genom att misslyckas med dörrarna!

n


This page: 
Has been last updated:
The URL of the page is:
Downloaded at:


©  Copyright 1997-2006 by IPMS Stockholm and the Community Members. All Rights Reserved.
The layout and graphics of this site, HTML and program code are © Copyright 1997-2006 Martin Waligorski. Used by permission.

Terms of use: This site is an interactive community of enthusiasts interested in the art of scale modelling of aircraft, armor, figures, spacecraft and similar subjetcs. All material within this site is protected under copyright, and may only be reproduced for personal use. You must  contact the Author(s) and/or Editor for permission to use any material on this site for any purpose other than private use.